Sunday, July 25, 2010

Care package is on the way Sophie!

We sent out first care package this week... Thursday to be exact. We could not do this until we received our LOA. Of course as soon as it arrived I began questioning Yu Ping on how we go about this. She provided the orphanage address in English and Chinese. I never really gave that much thought, but I guess it does need to be in both languages to make it to China. So interesting!

After she gave me the address, she also volunteered to translate a letter for me. I typed up a short letter to Sophie's nannies and included a portion for them to read to Sophie. I didn't make it lengthy because I'm not sure she'll understand too much until we arrive. After all, she is still only one year old.
I also did some shopping for items for the nannies. I wasn't sure what they would like and wanted to send some "American" items. I knew that I shouldn't send anything "made in China" which basically omits about everything. My mom helped with some research and I learned that they like to receive certain varieties of nuts, beef jerky, and chocolates. I boxed those items along with a few items I'd collected for Sophie.

I didn't want to send Sophie too many things or anything I was super attached to just in case in gets lost before we arrive. I've heard from other parents that they picked up the cared for items on gotcha day and that our orphanage is very careful. However, better to be safe than sorry. I included a small stuffed hippo that I've been sleeping with (to have my scent), a small blanket from Aunt Kristina, a panda blanket, PJ's from Wai Po (grandma), and a photo album filled with pictures of us, family, Sandy (the dog), and Sophie bedroom and school. With all that being said...here are some pictures of the final product. I wrapped all of Sophie's gifts after I took pictures.




P.S. Sandy had to get into the action...pop head around the corner. The bottle of water didn't go to China! The cameras are for them to take pictures of Sophie and her "best friend" at the SWI.

3 comments:

Anonymous

Stacy and Jason, you are lucky, smart and kind. But the fact that you think you are the lucky ones, makes Sophie the luky one.....Looks like it's GREAT luck all the way around...as it should be. Love Love Love
A. Debs and U. Pete

Anonymous

yep, you just keep proving how smart and happy you two are.....You two, soon to be three are loved from your South Florida aunt and uncle....

Anonymous

I love how cute Sandy looks in the pic. Like she's longing to meet her sis! I bet she's going to be the best big doggie a little lady could ever ask for!