Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Little Red Hen...

Do you remember the story of the Little Red Hen? The story about the hen who finds a grain of wheat, plants it, waters it, cuts it, takes it to the mill, grinds it to flour, turns it in to dough, and bakes it to bread all without the help of her friends the duck, dog, and cat? Of course the other animals wanted nothing to do with the hard work that came along with growing and harvesting the wheat but they more than happy to sample the delicious bread that the hen baked. I love this story. I think it describes so much in life. Particularly, my life.

I can compare the last 5+ years of my life to this process. Instead of growing wheat and baking bread I was problem solving health issues, getting injections of hormones, loosing touch with reality, and finding out I'd never have the kind of "bread" I wanted. Not to sound sad and pity party-ish but I needed my friends cat, dog, and duck to help me. Jason filled one of those roles. He was certainly there to do the injections, tell me things would be fine and that I wasn't crazy. But guess what? He was kinda crazy himself so his opinion may not have counted! We were going through a lot and really needed emotional support. Some people were there for us. They listened, judgement free. They didn't look at how our tribulations affected them. They were there because we needed them to do that...just be there. Sadly, others were not.

Now to the time has come to enjoy the bread. I can't help but put things into perspective by comparing this journey to one of my favorite fables. Should the cat, dog and duck get to share the bread? Do I allow them to skate on in during the final hour after not enduring the tough work that came before? Hmmm. I guess these are rhetorical questions. However, I'm thinking about it. It's just not enough to say you tried to help make the bread. You were either successful in helping, or not.

I'm thinking anyone reading this is probably asking "was I a cat, dog, or duck?" Well, if you are here, probably not. Just remember though, the hen needed the support of her friends when times were tough, not just during the most enjoyable moments in her life. I love that red hen!

We are extremely happy at how things have concluded. I only hope that those missing in action for our family of red hen's will be able to learn from this experience and one day see that their lack of actions have consequences. Because you know, the little red hen isn't even going to ask for their help next time!

0 comments: