Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The first day...

WOW! What an exciting, yet very nerve-racking day! This morning Jason and I met with an adoption attorney to gather basic information about adoption. We explained our knowledge and concerns about both domestic and international adoption. Interestingly enough, most of my misguided concerns weren't misguided at all. As suspected, sometimes domestic adoption does end with a birth mother changing her mind. That is so scary! After all we've gone through, I can't imagine experiencing another loss. In the end, we weighed out every pro and con we could think of for both. We are leaning towards international but are going to do our homework with that first, and are not ruling out domestic.

I placed phone calls with two agencies. First was Spence-Chapin, the agency that would handle a Korean adoption. I left a message. Next was WACAP, the agency we'd likely use for China and the same agency Lieba used. They both returned my call and I was able to speak with Joan from WACAP. She was able to inform me that the waiting child program would take about a year to place a child. This seems very reasonable, and probably unlikely. I'd love to have wishful thinking but our experience has proven one thing... we're always the exception! So, I'm planning on 2 years! Joan also said that most waiting children will be boys. You know what? If preschool has taught me anything, it's YOU GET WHAT YOU GET AND YOU DON'T GET UPSET. I will love the child that finds me, NO MATTER WHAT. Why would this be any different than becoming pregnant without choosing my childs needs or gender? So.... here we go!

I think at this point I'm more concerned about what other people are going to think about our choice and if we might be judged. I remember, pre-infertility, thinking "why do people adopt internationally when there are so many children here that need homes." This was very naive of me. Someone whose missed the opportunity of carrying a child doesn't necessarily want to adopt a 7 year-old. I hope we don't face too much resistance.

Regardless, the buzz is in the air and is very exciting. It's no longer IF, it's WHEN! Today is the first day of the rest of our lives...

0 comments: